This time we visit Aix-en-Provence - a really beautiful town associated with post-impressionist painter Paul Cézanne, located about 37 km east of Salon-de-Provence. It is former capital of Provence, which gives tourists the opportunity to spend a great time and visit a truly huge old town with many interesting buildings.
We parked the car on a fairly large, multi-storey parking lot "Pasteur" at the Rue du Chaptire (P; GPS: 43.533709, 5.446327). The advantage of it is that the parking lot is located only about 100 meters from the northern borders of the old town.
Walking in southern direction from Pasteur parking, we quickly reach the old town. We enter Rue Jacques de la Roque and after, and after a while we can see a magnificent cathedral building on the left (A; GPS: 43.531759, 5.446864). The Cathedral of the Holy Savior (Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur) was founded on the place of the former Roman forum from the first century. It has been built and expanded between 12th and 19th centuries. It contains beautiful Romanesque, Gothic and neo-Gothic elements.
After leaving the cathedral we head in the direction of the Town Hall Square. The beautiful bell tower is situated in Place de l'Hotel de Ville next to the City Hall. It was built in 1510 and was decorated with flamboyant braces and pinnacles. The Town Hall itself (B; GPS: 43.529848, 5.447717) is a beautiful elegant 17th century building dominating gorgeous Town Hall Square. The facade with wrought iron balcony and adjacent bell tower gracefully blend together in a harmonious ensemble.
Next to the Town Hall Square you can find interesting Provencal market in the Richelme Square (C; GPS: 43.529288, 5.448062). We go towards the Rotunda Square where the famous Cours Mirabeau street begins.
We pass the church of Holy Spirit from 18th century (D; GPS: 43.527342, 5.446924). Formerly it was a chapel of Holy Spirit Hospital. The church is directly opposite to Augustine belltower with a beautiful wrought iron belfry from 1677.
We come to the Rotunda Square (E; GPS: 43.526365, 5.445405) and then, after walking the famous Cours Mirabeau street we find the Chapel of the Oblates from the late seventeenth century (F; GPS: 43.526964, 5.451971). Now we head towards the Mazarin district. The Mazarin district was built on marshland outside the city walls and quickly became the most desirable place in town. On our way we find interesting church Saint-Jean-de-Malte from 13th century (G; GPS: 43.525728, 5.452790). The site was initially occupied in the twelfth century by a hospice and chapel of the Knights Hospitaller of the Order of Malta.
Then we head towards the Place des Precheurs (Preachers Square). In front of the Palace of Justice extends the Preachers Square, founded in the fifteenth century. It was the center of public and social life before the creation of the Cours Mirabeau. We can see a beautiful fountain that was constructed in 1758 (H; GPS: 43.529168, 5.451104). It is one of the larger fountains of Aix-en-Provence. Nearby we can find the building of the church of la Madeleine. Walking through Place des Trois Ormeaux the streets Rue Matheron and Rue Paul Bert we get back to the town hall, and finally we return to Pasteur parking.